I have news. I’ve entered the National UK Blog Awards in their food and drink category.
Given the scale of the competition, I almost didn’t enter. National? Scary! But I figured there was no harm, and it could turn out to be quite fun. And, it is! And, if it leads to a few new people discovering my little space and liking it enough to stick around then that wouldn’t be such a bad thing either. I’ve really enjoyed discovering lots of new blogs in all the other categories, too.
But, it means I have a favour to ask from you. My chances of winning are pretty slim, and I don’t say that to sound all humble, or whatever. I really mean it. I’ve checked out the competition and have already bookmarked a few sites I’ve fallen in love with and undoubtedly I’m sure you will, too. However, it would be nice to get at least a few votes. You know, so I don’t look like a complete loser. If you enjoy my blog then I would love for you to vote for me!
You can vote by clicking on the badge below or the one on my side bar (psst, over there —>), and then click on ‘vote now’. I swear it’ll only take you 2 minutes, and it would also mean a lot and I would be really, really grateful. To all of you who have already voted or are going to vote – thank you so much!
I decided to direct some of the candy canes away from my mouth and into these cupcakes instead … and then into my mouth. Crushing all that peppermint is actually pretty therapeutic, and that minty goodness combined with coconut is just a breath of fresh air. I decided to top it with vanilla buttercream and then decorated with heaps of dessicated coconut, edible glitter or more crushed peppermint – I just can’t get enough of it!
Coconut and Peppermint Cupcakes
RECIPE: Preheat oven 170C/325F/Gas mark 3. Makes 12.
For the cupcake
145g self raising flour
170g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
60g unsalted butter
145ml coconut milk
100g peppermint candy
Optional: 30g dessicated coconut
For the vanilla buttercream
560g icing sugar
170g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 vanilla pod
To decorate (optional):
Crushed peppermint candy
1. In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients – the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter. Mix well and rub the butter until you get a breadcrumb-y consistency.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and eggs and mix well. Scrape the seeds of a vanilla pod using the back of a knife and add the seeds to the milk.
3. Gradually add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing well and making sure everything is combined.
4. Place the peppermint candy into a plastic sealable bag and crush with a rolling pin. Add the crushed candy and dessicated coconut to the cake mixture and fold in.
5. Fill 2/3rds of the cases by scooping a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into each one.
6. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
7. Once baked, remove from the tin immediately. Place on a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before adding the frosting.
8. For the frosting – mix together the butter and icing sugar. Add the milk, and deseed a vanilla pod using the back of a knife and add the seeds to the frosting. Continue mixing for another 5 minutes. The longer you mix, the fluffier it will be.
9. Place frosting inside a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Optional: sprinkle cupcakes with dessicated coconut, crushed peppermint candy, or edible glitter.
For more helpful tips, visit: www.cakeinabox.co.uk.